Our Adventures With Retired Racing Greyhounds, Truly, Maggie and Walker



Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Assessment of Gate-Keeping Protocol or "What Did We Learn?"

Because we had the awful experience of having Those Brindle Kids get out of a gate accidentially left open, we revised our Gate-Keeping Protocol.  Items 1 and 2 remain the same.  Items 3 and 4 were added.

Revised Gate-Keeping Protocol:
1.  We never open the gate if the dogs are outside. 
2.  We always close it as soon as we've exited or entered.
3.  We now tape a sign over the doorknob on the back door when we're doing work in the front yard.  This is supposed to ensure that anybody seeing the sign will check to see that the gate is closed and locked before letting the dogs out.

4.  We put together an emergency kit - just in case they do get out again.  It's just a bag with leashes and collars, a small bag of treats, and the squawker.  It's kept by the front door with a pair of tennis shoes (not sandals), car keys and cell phone. 


It might have been a lot easier to find them if I'd been driving rather than running AND they might have come to me if they'd seen me open the car's rear hatch.  They know that's when they're going to get to "go for a ride."  (I'm not sure about that, though.  If they're out and running free, they might think that "going for a ride" is a step backward.)

I have tried to train them to come to me when called.  If we're in the house or the yard, Truly will come right away.  Maggie may or may not.  When we're in an open space like a dog park or a ball field, Truly loses his ability to hear.  Maggie will come right to me. 

Houndstooth of Tales and Tails is going to be reviewing the Tagg Pet Tracking system system soon.  We're very interested to see what she finds.  It's kind of expensive BUT I would have paid it in a second the day I realized my dogs were running through the streets.  If it works, we're on it.  Gyeong of Genji's Corner suggested a double gate system.  I'm trying to figure out how to make that happen so we can keep Truly and Maggie at home and safe.

3 comments:

  1. We attached springy things to all our gates so that they close by themselves. Sometimes the spring isn't strong enough to lock it, but enough to close it so the kids won't get out. Your brindle kids look a lot like my two brindle kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to mention the springs on the gates, too! lol I think once it happens to you, you take a lot more precautions to make sure it doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is the scariest thing to live through. I'm glad they made it home safe and sound. Gate control is pretty easy on our end, I'm the only one going in and out!

    ReplyDelete